To get a hazardous materials (hazmat) endorsement on your commercial driver’s license (CDL), you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Complete the required training: You will need to complete an Entry Level Driver Training Program that has been approved by the FMCSA. This program will cover topics such as hazmat regulations, emergency response, and handling hazardous materials safely.
  2. Meet the eligibility requirements: To be eligible for a hazmat endorsement, you must be at least 21 years old, have a valid CDL or CDL Permit , and pass a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) background check . You will also need to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident alien status.

  3. Pass the knowledge test: After completing the training program, you will need to pass a written knowledge test to demonstrate your understanding of hazmat regulations and safety procedures. The test is offered at most CDL testing locations (aka MVD, BMV, SOS, DDS, DSD, MVA) and consists of 25 multiple-choice questions.

  4. Pay the fees: There are fees associated with obtaining a hazmat endorsement, including the cost of the training program and the testing fees. You will need to pay these fees in order to receive your endorsement.

  5. By following these steps, you can obtain a hazmat endorsement on your CDL and be qualified to transport hazardous materials. It’s important to note that you will need to renew your hazmat endorsement every four-five years in order to maintain your qualification.